Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 14 to Day 17: Santa Maria, CA to Huntington, CA to Hermosa, CA BACK TO Huntington, CA

We had a couple rocky days…So rocky I almost packed my bag to catch the next flight home. Let me back up a little bit, but please keep in mind: This is The Durango Drifters’ Blog NOT The National Inquirer - we're not in the business of overexposure.

HUNTINGTON, HERMOSA, HUNTINGTON
The first squabble occurred when we arrived in Huntington Beach (the first time). We rolled up to The Best Western only to find out that their prices had jumped $65 bucks between the time Kris called the night before and our arrival that afternoon. We searched around and called a few places, but it seemed like we weren’t going to find anything cheaper.

Tric and I were resolved on one thing: stay within walking distance of the beach! After almost two weeks of being on the road, we wanted a LITTLE freedom. Staying right next to the beach would allow us to come and go as we please and not have to get in the Durango to drive to and from the beach everyday. Not to mention, we’d be privy to long runs along the Pacific Ocean, the pier, tons of cute shops, Starbucks, aaaand surfers…(please note: these are not in order of importance.) At this point we really had two options – both of which required some sort of sacrifice:
1. Stay at the Best Western and pay an extra $200 bucks more than we had anticipated.
2. Stay at the Sun and Sand Motel for less but forego some amenities and a liiiittle bit of safety.
Let me extrapolate – As Tricia pulled up online reviews, she hesitated for a minute before reading them aloud. Kris’s curiosity got the best of her and she tried to snatch the phone from Tricia’s hand until she agreed to share with the rest of the class: “ROBBED AT GUNPOINT WHILE ENTERING ROOM”…“COCKROACHES”...“NO A/C.” The boys laughed assuming this was just our attempt to convince everyone to stay at the Best Western. But after a few minutes of smirkless assurance, they finally accepted the reality of it all. My vote was for the Sun and Sand…In my mind, it would simply serve as a place to shut my eyes for a few hours each night, but I could tell opposition was strong, so I didn’t push the issue.

In the meantime, Kris developed a BRILLIANT idea! – “Let’s drive back north to Hermosa Beach where it’s pretty much the same thing (beach, restraunts/bars, shops, etc.), but a cheaper stay.” Whaaaaaat?? I was told this was gonna be a beach day – drive to Huntington, catch some rays, go back to the hotel to shower up, & head out to dinner at a sport’s bar/restaurant to watch the Lakers vs. Celtics game. It was already close to 3pm, and that wasn’t looking too promising. Instead, I was sitting in the parking lot of a Carl Jr’s, cooped up in the back of the Durango, trying to convince everyone to stay. I could tell I wasn’t being received well, so I asked Tric to let me out, grabbed a towel, and started the 2-mile trek to the beach. I believe this is the moment I officially acquired my nickname: Bev (in reference to Beverly Hills.) I guess they somehow associated my desire to get to the beach with a snooty need to be pampered or something of the sort. I simply advocate justice for the oppressed, and in these moments…I WAS OPPRESSED! Tric also felt it would be foolish to drive 30 minutes back north just to save a few bucks (that we would be spending in gas anyhow) so she jumped out too and we told them to call us when they had figured everything out. Well, they called about 15 minutes later to pick us up on the street, only to find out that we were headed to Hermosa. Tric and I suggested that we at least stay the rest of the day in an attempt to salvage whatever sunlight was left, but again – we were shot down. This was definitely not a democracy. I might as well move to China at this rate.

Anyhow, we rolled into Hermosa, barred windows to the left, gold teeth to the right, and we were DEFINITELY the minority. The temperature had dropped 11 degrees and the sun was nowhere in sight. The tense silence was finally broken with a few giggles as Kris blurted out,”I’M NOT STAYING HERE,” so we made a U-y and headed BACK to Huntington. So much for that beach day…

Kris and TP were back on their phones, calling both hotels and campgrounds. Tric found us a decent rate at a campground, and we were considering until we found out that it was a “clothing-optional” campground. Ohhhh deeeear. We kept gringding, and she finally landed a hotel even closer to the pier and right near the beach that would cost us each about $150 for three nights. It wasn’t until we got there that we realized she had stumbled across “a satchel of gold” -MJH. It had a very young, hip feel to it. The foyer was a homage to the surfers that stayed there faithfully – surfing photographs spotted the walls and a surfboard rack sat in the corner for them to store their gear after a long day on the waves. Our hotel attendant casually greeted us as he rocked a pair of purple and yellow shades in anticipation for that evening’s game. Our bathroom was HUUUGE and brilliantly designed. The beds were delightful. There was a complimentary wine hour. The fitness center had a flatscreen, a big open room, and a patio area in the middle of the hotel (surrounded by 4 walls) where you could get away AND get outside. There were little bonfires lit every night out on the bigger patio area. It was DOWNRIGHT AMAZING. You couldn’t wipe the awestruck smiles off our faces for anything as we walked into the room for the first time. I didn’t know what to do with myself...so of course I jumped on the bed and obnoxiously started a staged pillow fight with TP.

REJECTED.
We grabbed a bite while we watched the Celtics break LA’s hearts. Afterwards, Billy, Kyle & Kris headed back to the hotel while Tric and I tried to go to a hopping bar (Sharkey’s) where I was rejected at the door despite the facts that I had two photo ID’s and a few debit/credit cards with my name on it. Maaaybe it had something to do with the fact that the cellophane on the front of my ID is peeled halfway off and my license is missing some blacklight symbol that is on all legit PA licenses. Bouncers have mentioned it to me here and there, but I’ve always gotten in….NOT ON BUBBA’S WATCH! He told me he couldn’t accept it and didn’t even listen when I tried to explain I had several other forms to verify I was indeed Amy Hendricks. It kinda worked out in my favor since I was secretly looking forward to packing it in for the night. We walked to the pier, and headed back up to hang out with the rest of the Drifters.

“I THOUGHT THIS STUFF ONLY HAPPENED ON THE REAL WORLD”
That next morning we headed out to play some volleyball on the beach. Apparently Huntington is like the volleyball capital of the world. There were 15 courts right outside our hotel and we had just missed the U.S. Open that was hosted there all weekend. We still got to see a lot of the players who were actually staying at our hotel and practicing there for a few days post-competition. The rest of our day was pretty relaxing…laid out at the beach and jumped around in the water a bit. We’d shower up later that night and walk to the end of the pier to eat at Ruby’s. While we were eating, we saw something floating towards us in the water. The police came to check it out and everything, but we didn’t stick around to see what it was. I still say its people escaping from Cuba – yet another prime example of my geographical brilliance.

I believe it was that night that I swore I was booking a morning flight for home. We got back to the hotel after the game, and Tric was already snuggled up on the floor. I got ready for bed while Billy jokingly insisted that he was sleeping with Kris…which left me sleeping with Kyle. I kept telling him he had just a few minutes to move. Somehow this blew up into a verbal braaaawl making me out to be a “judgmental Christian” who didn’t want to sleep in the same bed as Kyle. I said if I didn’t HAVE to sleep with a guy, I didn’t want to. One of the first nights I could either sleep on the ground, in bed with Kris and Jorge, or in bed with Kyle and Billy. I chose the latter since I was not in the business of sleeping on a hotel floor OR in the same bed as a married man, so I mummified myself in a sheet and plopped down next to Billy. But if I could avoid sleeping in bed with a dude that I’m not married to, I will. Kyle apparently took offense to this, but it was by no means an personal attack on him…It could’ve been Billy, Mark, Matt, Bob, Mike or Muhammed. It had nothing to do with the fact that it was KYLE; it was the fact that he WASN’T my husband. I was just trying to give my man the respect he deserves…even if he doesn’t exist. Persecute me for being “stuffy” or “legalistic” or whatever else you’d like, but that’s where my values lie. In the midst of trying to explain the fact that they couldn’t fully empathize with my standards because of our differing outlooks on life/faith, I mistakenly said that their standards were “lower,” while a more appropriate term would’ve been “different.” They simply don’t believe in the same things as me and, as a result, don’t have to hold themselves to the same standard. To be honest, before I fully embraced the freedom that I have through my faith, I used to consider it more of a burden than anything. I almost envied those who weren’t brought up without those moral truths. They got do whatever they wanted without feeling the guilt and conviction that I felt simply because I knew in my heart that what I was doing wasn’t right. That perspective has completely transformed through my maturity. I realize that it is a downright BLESSING to have been exposed to those truths because it has allowed me to avoid more heartbreak than I’ve already endured. Anyhow, it ended feeling like Amy vs. All. Tric even popped up out of her peaceful slumber to throw a few knives…which were “jokes” unbeknownst to me. Apparently she was just trying to bust my balls, but I was taking some of it seriously. Thankfully Kris didn’t misinterpret what I was saying and tried to help the others to see it for what it was. Somewhere in the midst of everything, I remember Billy saying something like, “I thought this stuff only happened on the Real World.”

I woke up the next morning pretty bummed that things had to go down the way they did, but also confident that I didn’t say anything that misrepresented my Big Guy…whether they misinterpreted it that way or not. I got a long run in and some alone time to really just reflect and ask God to handle things in a way that would glorify Him. I knew that jumping a plane wouldn’t solve anything. Just as in any relationship (whether romantic or not), there are going to be hard times…It’s the people who confront it and humbly deal with those hard times that will have relationships that last. My flesh is stubborn and selfish, but thanks to those moments I had to ask God to break that down (and the endorphins raging through my body), we were able positively talk through everything. I had a chance to better explain what I was saying and humbly acknowledge that the word “different” would’ve been more appropriate when describing their standards. We’ve already dropped a few jokes in reference to the whole situation…I’m not capable of grudges. It’s just not in my DNA.

SURFIN’ IN THE USA
The following day, Tric and I thought we’d rent some surfboards and ride the waves. Ohh boyy did we RIDE THOSE WAVES…and by ride I mean roll around beneath them while choking on gallons of saltwater. I like to think of it as “body surfing.” For anyone considering surfing for the first time: DO NOT START AT HUNTINGTON BEACH. Even the dude at the surf shop told us this was like the worst beach for beginners. Instead of walking in and gradually getting deeper and deeper…you pretty much go from ankle-high water to waist-high water. If you’ve ever boogie-boarded at a place like this…it’s not fun either. Your reward for a catching a wave is a face plant into the sand. Anyhow, ater a few near death experiences and almost panicking when the undertoe kept dragging me OUT as I was trying to go IN, I heard my Mom’s voice telling me to not do anything stupid. Just cause I crawl around in caves, she thinks I’m this crazy daredevil, but I’d actually consider myself pretty cautious. If I ever sense that my life is in danger, I won’t do it. Even something as simple as cliff jumping – unless someone reassures me that it is plenty deep and tons of people have jumped in that exact spot without any problems, I typically won’t jump. Surfing was actually an exception to that… I know I can do it. Another time, another place, different conditions. We even heard surfer after surfer coming out of the water talking about how “gnarly” it was out there. We should’ve assumed so – we were told the day before and again after the near death experience about a squall/swell that was on it’s way in…That always gets the waves crazy. Anyhow, I’ll stop trying to justify my failure, but one last thing!!....Our wet suits were super big on us and I came out looking like I had cellulitus (swelled ankles)…I think I carried an extra 8 pounds of water weight.

HOLLYWOOOD!
Driving onto Rodeo Drive, we stood out like a sore thumb. Among the Porches, Beamers and Benzs, the Durango caught a few eyes with “Durango Drifters” stuck to the side in $.59 reflective house letters and GOOGLE US! handwritten above it with a Sharpie. The first time I came to Rodeo Drive with my mom and sis I don’t think we even bothered to get out of the car…Come on, we had to have blinders on while making our way to the clearance racks in A&E and Gap growing up. I’m pretty sure anything that was “on sale” on Rodeo Drive was 2000% above my spending limit. Although my expectations were the same this time around, we still got out and walked around a bit. We chowed down at the Hollywood Diner which was both reasonable and delicious!

While rolling up to Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, we observed the people walking by as we waited at a stoplight. Billy yells out, “THERE’S AMY!” The only thing this girl & I had in common was a face, a body, and a lose shirt. She was a brunette and her glasses covered half her face so even if she did look anything like me, you’d never know. He’s a crackerjack. He also insists that people keep mistaking him for a celebrity and he’s offered us his autograph a few times. I compare Billy’s joke-making to my music-listening. If I like a song, I’ll BUTCHER it. I’ll listen to it over, and over and over again and in the meantime, kill it for anyone who has to listen along. Billy BUTCHERS his jokes…and kills them for us who have to listen along.

Even though we bargained the bus tours from $50 down to $20, we still opted out of seeing celebrities homes and the Hollywood sign. We figured JLo and Julia Roberts barely lived at these houses and we could find our own way to the Hollywood sign…and THAT WE DID. I swear we were like 50 yards from it at one point. I almost felt like I could reach out and touch it. Buuut we were in someone’s driveway that had a sign posted that read “Armed Guards,” and since we really didn’t want to find out what that meant, we quickly turned around and made our way to an area where we could park legally and take pictures.

Before we got back on the road, we had one more major destination: MICHAEL JOHN HENDRICKS!!! - my big bro who claims to be a “pleiadian baby angel sent to this planet to absorb the worries of the world.” We caught up over some dinner after he got out of work and I hugged and kissed him to death when it was time for us to get back on the road. Till next Halloween, dear brother…I LOVE YOU! CLAROOOO.

Random Snippets:
-Billy and Kyle held their own rendition of the Olympics in our hotel room last night which consisted of them jumping off walls and over us as we tried to fall asleep. It was VERY exciting.
-Tric has a new necklace...She wore one of those bathing suits with the string that wraps around her neck and got SCORTCHED. We’re all jealous of her new bling.
-I’ve decided what I wanna get once the Honda tranny croaks…an old Toyota 4Runner. I’m in looooove ☺
-It’s true – cali reeks of cannabis.

Much love,
a.hendricks

P.S. Sorry the past two post have been picture-less! We've been slacking on that, but I'll get them up as soon as we upload.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete