Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Spelunk it!



Day 7: Keystone, SD (Kristina)

SPELUNK IT!

FINDING RUSHMORE CAVE

Awhile back I was looking for things to do while we spent the day in the Mt. Rushmore area. Obviously, things like seeing Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Needles Highway and Custer State Park were on our list of things to see. I wanted to find something different. I remember Tric and Amy talking about how much fun they had caving last summer in Colorado so I thought this would be perfect for all of us to take part in. So I decided to look more into caving (plus I would much rather go caving with a tour guide that somewhat looks after us than with Tric and Amy’s friends in Colorado and just wing it with no equipment) While I was searching I came across Rushmore Cave, only 5 miles from where we were staying. There were two options: 1.) a $18.00 walking tour inside the cave or 2.) a $35.00 2 ½ hour spelunking tour. After informing Billy (the one in charge of putting the itinerary together) what I found we talked it over with the other drifters Friday night and decided let’s do it!

Rushing to Rushmore Cave

We planned on waking up around 8:30. However, Saturday morning came around quickly and the five of us didn’t awake until 9:30 ahhh! We were already running late! Kyle came up with a brilliant idea, “Kris you should call to see if we need reservations.” Good thing I called because they had a 10:00 am and 3:00 pm spelunking tour. It was 9:47 am when I called. I spoke with April the receptionist at Rushmore Cave. She was very nice and let us sign up when two people were already on the list that max’s out at five people. I informed April that we were currently getting ready at the Super 8 in Keystone. She told me we have time to get there for the 10:00 am tour; it’s only 5 miles away and that she would wait for us to arrive! That came unexpected because back in the Northeast the response would have been a.) we can’t fit more than five in a single tour or b.) if your not here by 10, were not waiting. But fortunate for us this wasn’t the case in South Dakota. When I hung up the phone I informed the drifters to get ready and pack as fast as possible; Rushmore Cave is waiting for us. I told the group no one needed showers until after caving, although Amy refused to listen on account of her greasy head and jumped into the shower anyway while the rest of us quickly packed the car. Believe me when I say I never saw five human beings get dressed, packed and out the door so fast. We were literally driving to Rushmore Cave in less than ten minutes. We crammed everything in the Durango and jumped in to save time and rearrange after caving. We arrived at 10:05 am.

WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF INTO??

Now I know I am the one that searched and found Rushmore Cave. I was the one that encouraged the drifters we shouldn’t miss out on it. But let me tell you I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into. I just assumed we would be a slight step above the regular walking tour. (with minimal crawling here and there to get into rooms the walking tour didn’t cover) But boy was I wrong!!! The five of us walked in dressed in the proper clothing: long sleeve shirts, jeans and hiking shoes almost as we weren’t armatures at this and take part in spelunking on a daily basis. We met our tour guide Brendon; Billy paid for the excursion while the rest of us got a head start filling out a liability form: pretty much stating if we get hurt or die we cant sue Rushmore Cave. Amy willingly asked, “Did anyone ever die in Rushmore Cave?” Brendon answered, “No.” which was a relief to us all. We received helmets, headlamps, elbow and kneepads.

READY, SET, GO

The tour started off simple. We did the walking tour and as we entered the cave, Kyle said, “I feel like I’m in Goonies!” Brendon informed us on how the rooms formed and how they received their names. Since I’m a science major I found this in particular to be interesting. I learned about karsts topography (caves) throughout college and read about them in textbooks; it was really neat to see them in person and take everything I learned in class and finally see the real thing! However about thirty minutes later we were truly put to the test! This is when spelunking began…Brendon took us to the entrance. Now if you could only see the size of the entrance. It was tiny and very oddly shaped—My first thought was “how the hell am I going to fit through…” but somehow I twisted and turned my body and managed to get through (looking back it still amazes me how I got in) All five drifters entered the cave. Over the next two hours we were hunched over, army crawling, sliding head first, feet first using every muscle in out bodies with our back centimeters from the limestone ceiling. Now some fortunate ones made it through with ease compared to others. For instance Brendon, our tour guide and Tricia who is 5’4” and 115 lbs soaking wet didn’t have a single issue except jamming her right foot in a rock for a mere 20 seconds and thought she was stuck. But when it came time to slide past an 8 ½ inch crevice she did it with ease, like she was walking through the Holland Tunnel plenty of room on each side. Must be nice. As for Kyle, Billy and Amy they made it through the cave nicely. I followed Brendon through the cave followed by Amy, Tric, Billy and Kyle behind me. Certain times I could here Billy saying, “how is Kristina getting through” which encouraged me and kept me going…they were surprised and so was I that I made it through.

UH-OH…FISSURE ROOM

However, over the 2 ½ hours I did encounter one issue. Brendon took us off course to towards the Fissure Room. Unfortunately that is the only room I did not see. I simply couldn’t twist and turn my body through a gap 8 ½ inches wide. I was seriously stuck for what seemed like forever, I couldn’t budge in either direction and I kept calm (surprisingly I didn’t spaz or simply just cry in fear of being trapped) Brendon kept encouraging me from one side and the rest of the drifters from behind me. Worse came to worse Brendon (whose was panicking I was stuck because he took us off course and definitely would get in trouble for taking tourists to the fissure room) told me he was on one side and tric and amy are behind me and they both could help pull me out. But I managed to back out myself, which was a huge relief for me who was holding back tears and Brendon who now wouldn’t get in trouble for taking us to the Fissure room. I backed out and let the rest go through. They all managed to enter. I feel as though I could have attempted and possibly get through. But it wasn’t worth it I would have been in so much fear that I couldn’t get back through. I can imagine the headline in the local paper now, “Girl from PA stuck in Rushmore Cave: carried out by caving emergency team!” Definitely not worth it to me so I stayed behind; the rest of the group returned a few minutes later and we continued on our way. During the adventure there were a few times I needed assistance from Billy and Amy here and there and made it through.

ABSOLUTE DARKNESS

Towards the end of our spelunking experience Brendon took us to a room and we turned our lights off. It was absolute darkness and it was near because there are only two places in the world where this could occur: in a cave or in the bottom of the ocean. Absolute darkness is so so dark you cannot see your hand a millimeter in front of your face. If your down they’re a month straight you would come out color blind (which never been tested but could be true). Although strangely enough tric swears she could see in absolute darkness, which is, impossible so she should definitely get her eyes checked because maybe she is the only person in the 6 billion human population that has the ability (Crazzyyyy!) or maybe she was using her imagination and never saw anything…who knows. Well from here on out we did some digging (laying on your back head first pushing and pulling your body) up and over tunnels until we eventually exited the cave.

OUT AT LAST

It was relief to be out and able to move around. We headed to the exit sign to wipe the piles of dirt off our bodies and clean up. We thanked Brendon for an awesome time, looked through the gift shop, signed the guest book and headed out. It was a long morning, we were hungry so next stop: Lunch! Looking back caving at Rushmore cave was a once in a lifetime experience. I accomplished something I didn’t think I could and along with the drifters had a blast spelunking!

Random Snippets:

“Bill your talking like were in a war zone” –Cobra

That’s it for now…

~ Kristina xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I truly enjoy reading from you guys!!
    I hAVE TO tell you Kris, it wouldn't have been me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time! Come again!

    Kristine Young
    Office of Tourism
    travelsd.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey guys, it's a cool thing that you're doing.. i have visited 23 states but not at the same time.. so i am awed by your trip.
    I was looking at my pictures and saw your car and googled "Durango Drifters", found you :)
    I saw you guys on the needles scenic byway in custer state park (South Dakota). Have a nice trip..

    ReplyDelete