Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Durango Drifters' Pre-Trip Survey: A. Hendricks

What is the most unnecessary thing you packed?
I probably could’ve gone without the FIFTH sundress, but they count as a whole outfit and I only have a few more summers to dress like an 8 year old little girl. I also probably could’ve gone without my perfume for 40 days, but I’m big on smells, so in my mind it’s completely necessary. It’s all about perspective.

What is the most prized possession you packed?
My journal. It contains my soul.

If you had to leave someone in the middle of the desert, who would it be?
Billy cause I feel like he’d be most likely to figure out a way to survive. I’d give the other three about 8 hours to live.

Where are you most excited to go on the trip?
I’ve got a few:
  1. The Grand Canyon – It’s pretty much the only major site in the US I have yet to see. The rents took us across the country years ago and I feel like we saw EVERYTHING BUT that. I hear it’s humbling.
  2. Lake George, CO – Was just there last summer but I can’t get enough of those vistas, that cabin, and of course UNCLE MYRON!!! My favorite cowboy :)
  3. LA – Get to see my big bro! I think the last time I saw him was two Halloweens ago. Yes, he comes home for Halloween but not Thanksgiving and Christmas. He’s a crackerjack.

What are you most excited to do on the trip?
I’m really excited that we’ll be camping most of the trip. I love simple living and escaping the digital world. As for activities, ATVing in the sanddunes makes my heart skip a beat and I can’t wait to FINALLY try surfing. On a broader spectrum, I’m really excited to meet people along the way, hear their stories and get a feel for the people in each region of the country. I’m also reeeally excited to have time to just sit, stare out the window & put my thoughts to paper.


According to ground rules, if you’re behind the wheel, you dictate the music. What will be playing when you’re driving?
I’m on a Train and AAR kick, but my mainstays are KOL & Counting Crows, so they will undoubtedly find their way in the mix.

Who is most likely to get a ticket along the way?
I feel like I should say Tric (considering the ticket she acquired when she drove a whopping 2 hours within a month of travels that prooobably consisted of a solid 30 hours of driving), but I’m gonna go with Kristina on this one. I have a premonition she’s got a steel foot.

Who is most likely to cause trouble along the way?
Cobra K. Sheare. The name says it all…not to mention the drunken brawl and the mid-sleep piss in the tent’s “invisible” toilet while we were in the Catskills. Dear Lord, have mercy on our souls.

If you could bring one more person along, who would it be?
Gramps!!!…he always talks about seeing a lot of cool places on TV that he knows he will never experience in real life and that makes me saaaad.

Do you think you will lose or gain weight over the 40 days?
The combination of my extreme frugality and lack of weights will probably have me coming back a few pounds lighter.

Speaking of eating…If you were stranded somewhere and ran out of food, who would you decide to cannibalize first?
Hmmm…that’s a toughyyy…everyone would be pretty tasty! I’m gonna go with Billy on this one – he’s got a wonderful muscle to fat ratio which would makes for a pretty tender cut. Can someone pack some adobo?

Do you plan to collect any little souvenirs along the way?
If anything, I might collect cool stickers…They’re neither cumbersome nor expensive, but I think I’d rather get a couple locally made shirts or accessories instead. And of course, I’ll be bringing something home for the fam!!

What are your 3 biggest goals for the road trip?

  1. Live simpler.
  2. Love deeper.
  3. Appreciate more.

No comments:

Post a Comment